Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Grey Gardens: Recap

After a fun-filled weekend that included a lovely dinner on the patio at the neighborhood restaurant on Friday night, a little SEC football (yes, in April!) followed by an arts festival on Saturday, and a baby shower on Sunday, I finally settled in to watch HBO's Grey Gardens on Sunday night.
Mr. SDP was kind enough to watch it with me. (He too has seen the documentary.)

Within the first few minutes, I found myself wanting to pause the movie so I could stare at Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange and make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me. They looked so much like the real Edies -- a sentiment shared by David Weigand with the Sanfranciso Chronicle.

The movie answered so many of my questions about their previous lives. I find this description of the movie to be very fitting: "Grey Gardens is a brilliant, moving, hilarious and mesmerizing mess of a movie that miraculously captures what made the Beales such iconic characters."

What impressed me most was Drew Barrymore's performance. Part of me expected her to play Drew, or atleast give us a quirky portrayal of Little Edie. I thought for sure I'd hear Drew's distinct sound coming through the lines. Instead, Drew went for it. It was evident that she gave this role everything she had. What the audience gets in return is a gift! It is Little Edie...in all her glory. Bravo Drew!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment