Sunday, April 5, 2009

Would you light my candle?

So, I've tried to branch out. Promise. I've allowed other candles to brighten my home, fill a room with its new champagne scent, and set the mood, but there is no other candle I like more than the popular No. 96a Red Currant scent from Votivo.
I love everything about it, from the tissue paper in which it's so perfectly wrapped to the way it burns all the way to the very bottom while not looking like something a cat threw up. It's my favorite. There are three criterion I look for when selecting a candle...

1) Scent - This is likely the most important of all criteria, but the scent alone cannot override the other two. The scent must evoke a warm, sensual, relaxing feeling. Don't over think it either. You should know it is the perfect candle for you with one inhale.

2) Packaging/Appearance - How does the candle look when burning? What about when the candle is not burning? Is it attractive? Does it compliment the room?

3) Functionality - We're talking wick length and endurance. (Insert Michael Scott joke here.) But seriously, what good is a $36.00 candle if you can only burn it 5 of the said 50 hours???

While I like Taylor Candle Company's High Maintenance aroma and Capri Blue's hand-poured Volcano from Anthropologie, neither seem to stack up to Votivo's Red Currant. While the High Maintenance scent is intoxicating and the packaging is adorable, it scores poorly on functionality. The Capri Blue candles smell great but they're blue and I can think of only two rooms in my house where they would "go." So, happy burning everyone! I'm one hour in to my new Red Currant Votivo...49 more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment