Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Mad for Plaid

I've made no apologies for my new obsession with Isaac Mizrahi for Liz Claiborne. If you've yet to fall in love with him, like me, check this out:This just arrived in my inbox...and I think I gave a silent "Hooray!" {Don't want to disturb my co-workers!} I'm so glad plaid is back. I'm not sure how I'm going to work it in to my wardrobe this fall, but when I do, it needs to be really trendy.


Remember, I just turned 30 this year, so I need to make sure I'm using classic pieces in the right way. Dressing appropriately at 30 can be very tricky. A hem line that's too long or a shirt too boxy and I might look 40. (Gasp!) On the other hand, I can't skew too young and rock a plaid mini...or atleast not without leggings.

A few years ago, I remember I would wear traditional Jackie-O inspired dresses to formal events. Think elegant labels like Oscar de la Renta and Kay Unger. It was a great way to dress - I was a sharp, mature 20-something that could pull it off. This dress is a perfect representation of what I'm talking about in style, not price! {It's available at SAKS for a cool $2,500 right now.}

Now that I'm getting older, I feel like I have to follow the trends more closely and choose classic pieces carefully, or I'll look too old. If I were to rock the Oscar dress to a cocktail party, I'm afraid I would look older than I am.

Instead, I would go with something more like this, from Marc Jacobs: Maybe I am over-analyzing this whole age thing, but I just don't want to be called "Ma'am" by the bartender...that's what it's about these days!

1 comment:

  1. AMEN sister!! Hope your having a great day! = )

    ReplyDelete